Gerardo Machnicki, MSc., Ph.D.
Director, Real World Evidence
Janssen Latin America
Gerardo has nineteen years of experience in the pharmaceutical industry in roles involving health economics, outcomes research and analytics across different therapeutic areas (cardiovascular, diabetes, hematology, immunology, neurology, oncology, and respiratory).
He has an international education in economics (Universidad Catolica Argentina, Argentina), health economics (University of York, UK) and epidemiology/public health/biostatistics (Saint Louis University, USA). He has been an invited lecturer at several health economics/health management courses (Universidad Isalud, Universidad de San Andres, Universidad de Buenos Aires, Universidad Maimonides), as well as a co-instructor of Economic Analyses course by the International Society of Pharmacoeconomics and Outcomes Research (ISPOR, 2017), led the first RWE Short Course at ISPOR Latin American meeting (2019) and chair of ISPOR Research Methods Awards Committee.
With twenty refereed journal publications, Gerardo´s experience and skills include: design and analysis of epidemiologic studies, economic evaluation of healthcare technologies, health technology assessment, health outcomes research with large databases, patient-reported outcomes, resource allocation in healthcare, statistical modeling.
He has been a proponent and supporter of the OHDSI community in Latin America since learning about it in 2015. His two main interest in the OHDSI context are:
• analytic and patient-level prediction tools provided by OHDSI and how these keep growing to implement better methods for observational research in epidemiology and health economics
• OHDSI growth in Latin America
• Designed first Janssen Latin America RWE Latin American meeting (November 2016) with Peter Rijnbeek and Nigel Hughes (EHDEN) as faculty
• Several interactions with potential OHDSI participants in Latin America
• Participant in 2018 RWE Oxford Summer School
• Facilitated OHDSI introduction as leader of first RWE Short Course, ISPOR Latin America meeting (2019)
• Participant in recently launched OHDSI in Spanish and Portuguese workgroup